Sunday, February 26, 2012

Liverpool - Carling Cup Winners

Wow, what a game that was. It was horrible most of the time, one of those games when you just want to turn the TV off and forget about football. But I didn’t turn the TV off and now we are Carling Cup winners. I know I would have regretted it a lot if I hadn’t seen the game so I’m lucky I did.

I saw the game at O’Learys together with a lot of other Liverpool fans. I didn’t know anyone and I still don’t because I didn’t talk much. I was so focused on the game and my mood went up and down like I don’t know what and most of the time it felt bad because we didn’t play good. We never reached our highest level or anywhere near that and Cardiff played really well.



In the beginning of the game we had a few chances but we didn’t get the ball in. Instead it was Cardiff who got the first goal and that was after 19 minutes or something like that. Liverpool equalized in the 60th minute after a goal by Skrtel (he just gets better and better) and for a little while it felt a bit better.

None of the teams managed to score another goal so the game went to extra time. The first one to score there was Dirk Kuyt, our Flying Dutchman. With just a few minutes left Cardiff scored and when they did it felt like we weren’t meant to win this cup. I almost felt depressed and I really didn’t think that we would win.

The game went to penalties and the first one to try his luck was Stevie Gerrard. He missed his penalty and my mood dropped even more. I didn’t watch the penalties because it was too exciting and scary, but I heard. When Cardiff missed their penalty too the atmosphere in the room went up a bit, but then Charlie Adam shot his penalty miles above the goal the mood went down again. Cardiff scored their second goal and they were in the lead. Then it was Kuyt’s turn to shoot and he scored so when Cardiff missed their third penalty we were back on track again. Stewart Downing scored his penalty and Cardiff equalized. Then it was time for Glen Johnson to take Liverpool’s last penalty and that really didn’t feel good. But he scored and it was a great penalty. The last one to shoot was Anthony Gerrard for Cardiff and he missed. Poor man.



When Anthony missed the penalty all the people in the room started to celebrate and it all got very loudly. It felt SO good and we really needed this victory. I don’t think we deserved to win because we didn’t play very good and Cardiff did, but I’m so happy we won. It will stay on my mind for some time now and hopefully help me through all the school work and things I have to do for the weeks to come. And it really was time for Liverpool to put something new to the trophy collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment